A special session of Kerala assembly convened on Thursday discussed the floods that wreaked havoc in the state claiming hundreds of lives, displacing more than a million people and causing widespread damage.
Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan started the session on 9 am with a statement on the worst flood in decades and the destructions its aftermath. Pinarayi Vijayan said that the disaster has claimed 483 lives and the estimated value of destruction “is more than the annual outlay of our state.”
Pinarayi Vijayan also added that at least 14 people are still missing although the flood waters have receded from many places in the state. The chief minister also pointed out that almost 14.50 lakh people were displaced from their homes to relief camps after gushing flood waters entered their homes.
“The latest figure is- there are 59,296 people in 305 relief camps. A total of 57,000 hectares of agriculture crops have been destroyed. An approximate estimate of the loss is more than the annual outlay of our state,” the chief minister said.
Adequate warnings regarding the rains had already been given but the unprecedented rains led to a deluge, said Pinarayi Vijayan. The predicted rains from August 9 to 15 were 98.5 mm but the state got 352.2 mm he said.
Meanwhile, former chief minister and Kerala administrative reforms council chairman VS Achuthanandan stated that policy lapses on the part of the government led to the disaster. Congress legislator VD Satheesan termed the flood as a man-made disaster.